Sure things

Over the past month, I ran into many unexpected incidents and "weird" people that made me question what I truly believe in.  I have gone from a total believer in a cause to a skeptic.  Not that skepticism in itself is totally negative but I'm not so sure about myself like I used to.

Yesterday I went to Baan Aree for a dhamma practice session.  On my drive home, I gave a ride to one of the ladies I met at Suan Seang Arun (I actually forgot her name).  She is strange even from her outlook, the way she speaks and how reclusive she is.  It isn't that she's a liar but she has her own way of understanding the world.

She remembered me ever since my first time at Suan Seang Arun.  In my car, she started to tell me about my Phra Ajahn, his Vipassana master and how badly the monastery was run.  I knew that most of what she said was not true, and yet I could see myself being swayed.  The tricky part was that her stories were not entirely made up; some of her opinions agreed with mine.  And I was like, darn... I thought I was loyal, logical and firm.  It wasn't like I totally bought into her stories, but doubts definitely arose.

Now that I looked back, I wasn't annoyed but instead I felt thankful that she came into my life at this time.  I don't want to be too one-sided, and I love to have my beliefs challenged.

Comments