Going Back to Square One

Rarely did I have so many stuff on my mind that I can't quite organize them into words.  I thought I was ready to tackle any pop quiz my karma presents to me, but I clearly wasn't.  I realized how tough it was to "see things as they are" when my so-called life appeared to be falling apart.  And by life I mean something so mundane as normalcy of my daily schedule... 

I found that I didn't want to examine and observe how I felt when I wasn't what I expected myself to be: a rational, calm, human being.  Instead, a simmering maniac was what I was.  I saw that I was strongly identified with how well I perform.  With such intense external stimuli, I was forced to see that my reactions were of two opposites: liking and disliking.

The teaching of seeing without judging is beautiful conceptually but extremely difficult to do because it goes against the very training I have had in my life.  In schools, I was taught to use my intellect, to criticize, and to value.  More importantly, it goes against my instinct of wanting to manipulate things, to take control.  I have my positions on almost every issues.  To take no stand is like I cease to exist. 

Well, isn't that what I am hoping for?  To reach a state of non-self...   

In the midst of storm, my routine formal walking practices helped me stay grounded.  However, its effectiveness was rather limited as my awareness wasn't skillful enough to overcome my rage.  When I was mad as hell, it was almost impossible be a human; let alone being mindful.

After all, at least I can evaluate myself that I still have a loooonng way to go in my spiritual practice.   If I don't succeed in this life, perhaps next then...

Comments