What life would be like without the internet?

I was asked that question in the dhamma practice session.  And the first response was, probably very tough!  How could I search for information, like homework exercises, free software, files?   How inefficient it would have been without emails?

Our meeting with Pon revealed that they wanted to get the Dhamma Yatra website up and running within four months.  I was kinda worried initially as I didn't want to put too much load on my student.  So I told her that I'd do it myself.  I thought of wordpress.org that offers web templates.  Now I'm very confident that I can get it up soon.  Plus, I can always ask for help from my grad students or people in the computer engineering.  I was kinda thrilled to do it, actually.

Phra Ajahn Note gave me the MP3 files of the dhamma talks with the Chinese transciption that Luangpor Khamkhien delivered in China.  Initially, I asked for them so I could put them on the Wat Pa Sukato English web site.  Now that we gave up on it, I still think that the talks can benefit other people while we're waiting for it to be ready.  But the files need some editing to remove white noise and long silent periods.  I searched the Internet to see which freeware I could use and found Audacity (many choices came up but I trust sourceforge so I picked this one).  It is so user-friendly that I could teach myself how to do it by just reading its manual.  Amazing what cool and yet free things are out there (BIG thanks to them software developers).

My plan was to get all of the files edited and uploaded onto www.archive.org.  Quite a cool site actually; before I did find some dhamma talks on it.  I guess because I so much enjoy the talks that I found on the web, I cherish these recordings, and I want to keep them accessible.  I found I enjoy the editing process; I get to listen to the talks and do some "chopping."    It was quite funny to get to remove LP Khamkhien's coughs from the file...

I ran into my old-time college friend today.  From our conversation, he doesn't seem to change at all, in terms of attitudes and life's preferences.  I guess because our interests have diverged, I didn't really know what to talk to him, and our chat was very dry.  And I thought what I was like, back then.

Oh, I just had a surreal experience of watching myself teaching on VDO (I wanted to test run my camcorder), and I couldn't stand seeing it until the end.  I don't like my voice at all: too commanding, too loud and quite irritating.  And the way I hold myself, my facial expression, and my walks exude utter confidence in myself.  I know that there is no such thing as a self but whatever attitudes I possess present itself clearly just by laying eyes on me.  I guess, my love to be crystal clear is intrinsic.

Comments