Omitting the excess

The last correspondence that I had with a monk about making a vow (อธิษฐาน) got me into thinking if I could keep the eight precepts during Vasa (เข้าพรรษา).  I bribe myself with a brand-name bag if I could finish it.  What worried me were the rules about not beautifying oneself and no shopping.  Of course, the eight precepts do not say that thou shall not fashion shop, but I reinterpret it as such because most of my cloth shopping is done to serve my fathomless craving rather than satisfying any real need.  I could save a lot of money, time and brain power if I omit it. 

Moreover, I also like the rule on not eating any solid food after lunch (again, this is my own adjustment.  Sometimes I don't eat lunch before noon so it's easier to bend the rule that way); it'd help me to maintain my weight or even lose it.  And I find, having to figure out what to eat is sometimes exhausting (Is it healthy?  Is it tasty?...).  I love not having to think about it.

Since I'm impulsive, I decided to do it right away rather than waiting for the actual Vasa to begin.  My rationals were that I could have dropped dead before then and that I should forge iron while it's still hot... 

I always wore makeup to work or to special events.  The first day without it made me feel naked (I still put on moisturizer, sun block lotion, baby powder and lip gloss), like I hadn't finished getting dressed to work.  I personally think that an unadorned face of a 37-year-old woman was quite repulsive to behold, and I caught myself commented negatively about my own face when I looked in the mirror.  I wondered if people at work would take notice.  But, to my surprise, I didn't get any questions or comments.  Perhaps, my makeup mattered only to me.

Observing my own reaction to myself without makeup was fascinating.  I never thought that I was that fixated about bodily looks.  I had certain perceptions about how I should look in a given function; like a college professor should appear such and such.  During the first few days, I wasn't comfortable and very much myself without my "armor."  Of course, I get used to my bare face now.

Oh, another habit that I had to let go was listening to musics while driving and watching no entertainment shows (on TVs, in theatres).  It was weird initially without music on while driving.  I substitute it with dhamma talks (I generally listen to them anyway when musics on radio wasn't pleasing to my ears).  Because I often like pop rocks, not hearing it makes me more calm and less day dreaming, i.e., losing myself into thoughts or fantasy worlds. 

I come to understand how these rules help in dhamma practices, materially and spiritually.  I suppose putting myself into different settings facilitate in learning about myself: most importantly, how arrogant and self-righteous I had been.  Yet, I don't dislike myself; it's more that I'm interested in what I can turn myself into.

Comments