To-be-acquired skill

My family background and my formative adolescent years in the US spoiled me into always saying what I mean.  Or in unavoidable cases, I'd rather be mute than lie.

At the university where I teach, I run into many colleagues who puzzle me by saying one thing and mean entirely another.  Perhaps I lack subtlety or nuance to read between the lines.  Like in the department meetings, when asked for opinions, most faculty members remain quiet.  And once they get out of the room, they would vent out their feelings.  I was like, what's the point in having everyone together then if we don't voice our concerns or our point of views?  It's not just a mere formal ritual.  Anyway, for this, I still say what I think on the issues I care; otherwise, I just let things be.

My work friends gave me many other surprises.  I was told that I overgeneralize, but I find faculty members (at least the Thai ones) tend to be risk averse.  Like they tend to be wanting to know all possible future scenarios before they commit themselves into it.  Even on simple things like forming a team for some sort of competition.  I did that for two years and thought it was time to pass the torch.  Another friend who was thinking about leading such a student team asked me so many questions that I said, look, winning or losing is not the point.  The thing is I just love the challenge it poses.  And I basically love programming, so I enjoyed the experience.  You just have to do it and see how it goes.

People who must have answers to all possible scenarios freak me out.  I mean, by definition, future is uncertain.  If you think you're capable of doing it, it doesn't harm anyone or yourself, and it provides some benefits, I just don't see why one must contemplate so hard on them.

Comments