Commercializing beauty

Over the birthday party lunch on Sunday, I learned that my friend would undergo liposuction on her tummy.  The cost of sucking fat out of her stomach is about 200,000 Baht, enough to buy a decent used car or a house in a country side.  I was like, if someone paid me that much to lose a few kilos, I would be more than happy to oblige.  I called her after her operation, her doctor said about 1 liter of fat was removed.

The other day, I had a colonic: a colon cleansing.  And that place has other "aesthetic" services such as some procedure that aims to tighten the skin around one's jaw line, thus making it look sharper.  I was like, no thanks...

The sheer number and the variety of beauty clinics in Bangkok metropolitan area puzzles me.  Do people have that much money to expend?  Or people care about their look so much that they're willing to borrow or skimp on something else to pay for these services.  It seems that if you are willing to spend, you can almost nip and tuck indefinitely, on any body parts.

I told my students that look is as important as a product packaging.  But money and time being limited resources, if one concentrates too much on the overall look, what about the content?  I start to wonder if doctors and engineers would still be desirable professions ten years from now, or all kids would want to become movie stars and singers (and I dislike the reality shows like "The Stars" and "Academy Fantasia" for popularizing this trend.  These are Thai equivalent to "American Idols")

Anyhow, today I just learned that my mail package of the first sweater that I ever knitted arrived to Wat Pa Sukato.  I'm quite proud of it, actually.  I had no doubt that I'd finish it, but the fact that it looks rather decent surprised me.   And I also learned that all my friends have never done it before.

Pink and I are going to Suan Seang Arun this weekend.  I'm quite looking forward to it as I'll start teaching on Saturdays next week.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh boy, now i started feeling guilty to bail on you last weekend. sigh

somehow, i get so used to canceling last minute and feeling okay about it. hmm i need to reconsider that since its definitely not cool ^^