Best-seller book titles

As an insomniac, I used to read myself to sleep.  Since I wasn't stuck in traffic so much back then, I did have plenty of times reading novels and news magazines.  Now that I no longer have a tough time getting to sleep, I don't read for pleasure as much as I used to, but I still love browsing through bookstores.

Lately, I've noticed that many titles on the best-seller list share some common keywords such as happiness, money, beauty.  This quality is deemed highly desirable at the moment, I guess... 

Naturally, desire makes us itch.  It lures us into thinking that having it would make us happier.    Until another itch arises.  Hunger for money is no different.

I suppose many Thais have come to the point where they have enough money and yet they find that there is something missing.  Like lacking in contentment or life's satisfaction.  Self-help and dhamma books offer some hope of finding a cure, some way of filling in the void.  This is true not only in Thailand.

Now that China has progressed enormously in terms of quality of living and personal wealth, some start to experience this yearning for something more.  Luangpor Khamkien of Wat Pa Sukato has been invited to teach dhamma practices in Hokkian province many times.  I guess we are too familiar with Buddhism that most of us don't find it valuable.

Comments