So near and yet so far

Like most women, I used to long for marriages.  The more I listen to my married female friends talk about their families and after having seen my close friend's matrimony falling apart, the more I come to realize that marriages and romances do have their own transformations.  Movies, novels, and love songs tend to fool us (and we happily let them) that such strong attractive, forgiving, blind, sensations would persist and that it would end the void we feel inside once and for all.  Just like Jerry McGuire said "You complete me." in the movie.  I suppose romantic relationship does perform that function, but only temporarily.  We have to part, alive or dead, anyway.  In my eyes, most couples grow apart since when they're still living; and that is much more tragic.    

Well, I shouldn't act like a bitter single thirty-something.  I'd say we all have our own set of baggage.  Just like Ajahn Brahm said, married couples have married-couple problems; single people have single-people problems; monks have monk problems; and laymen have layman problems...

Comments