Don't worry. Be happy...or not?

I got a call from my junior highschool friend, Noot, inviting me to her birthday party.  Like me, she's still single, educated and materially well-off.

She talked about her friend, Sherry, who has lost her mother.  And, as a result, Sherry became interested in Buddhism and goes to monasteries regularly.  She asks Noot to join her on these visits.  Noot said that she can't bear the living conditions in monasteries (I forgot to ask if she has ever seen for herself what it's actually like) and never goes with Sherry.

I told Noot that practicing dhamma is like learning how to swim.  If you don't learn it, you may have a tough time when you're being drown.  Of course, I couldn't convince her.  Her reasoning is that she is now happy as she can be and thus doesn't see the need to put herself through any sort of alternative conditions.

I have many friends who share similar attitudes.  Why bother learning dhamma when things are going well?  And I wonder, are these people actually "happy"?  And what do we mean by that anyway?  Is it as they say that ignorance is bliss?  By the way, Luangpor Brahmavangso, Laungpor Chah's disciple, recently gave a talk with that exact title.

I know that sometimes I act as if I know better, and perhaps I don't.  But I'd rather be bitterly grounded than being irrationally exuberant.

I just happened to read an article titled ทุกข์นักหนาเพราะมานะมาก in Dhamma At Hand Newsletter on this very subject.  And this quote applies to me: เพื่อนหลงโลก ส่วนเราหลงตัวเอง (^ ^)  For the dhamma practitioners, Khun Dungtrin warned us that:

ตอนนี้มาถึงจุดที่เรารู้สึกว่าเดินทางมาได้ไกลพอสมควร
เพราะว่ามันออกจากที่มืด ออกจากก้นถ้ำ มาถึงที่ที่มีแสงสว่าง
ที่ที่มีแสงสว่าง มันก็ทำให้เรารู้สึกดี รู้สึกว่ามันสดใสขึ้นในช่วงแรก
แต่พอมันสว่างไปมากๆ มันก็เกิดความเคยชิน
แล้วก็เกิดความรู้สึกเหมือนกับเราสามารถเห็นอะไรได้ชัด
เราทำอะไรได้เต็มที่ เรามีดีกว่าเมื่อก่อนนะ แล้วเราก็เก่งกล้าสามารถ
ไอ้ความสว่างนี่มันก็เป็นดาบสองคม มันทำให้เรารู้สึกดี
แต่บางครั้งมันดีเกินไปนะ มันก็เกิดเป็นความรู้สึกหลงตัวขึ้นมา
ไอ้ความรู้สึกหลงตัวนี่แหละ ที่จะเป็นตุ้มถ่วงพาเราหลงเหว"


The next semester starts in a week and I'm so NOT looking forward to it.

Comments