Sightseeing Antwerp


I've uploaded photos of this day.

By the way, I hadn't even heard of the city but I read about it from one of the Thai guide book by Khun Praew Jariyawet.  And I've stayed in a B&B hotel she recommended: Bed, Bath & Brood.  It's a really good deal, 60 Euros a night with breakfast. 

Yesterday was Monday when museums were closed so I walked around and did some touring.  I went to the Cathedral (the Church of our Lady) first.  It was intended to be the largest in Europe but isn't so due to numerous damages during World Wars and the French Revolution.  The tower took ~200 years to complete and it's the tallest structure in Antwerp.  I've been to many major cathedrals in Europe, e.g., elaborate ones in Toledo (Spain) and Cologne (Germany), so this Antwerp cathedral doesn't impress me that much.  What is special about it is many altar pieces by Peter Paul Rubens who called Antwerp home for much of his life.

Then I walked along Meir St which is the main shopping district.  I love shopping streets than an indoor shopping mall.  There's more life, sun and air to it.  I found many interesting bag shops that are probably local because I never heard the brands before.  Their products are of good quality and not overpriced.  Most are in solid color.  I didn't buy anything as I don't feel like it so I was just window shopping.

To rest my tired legs, I did a river cruise tour which lasted about an hour and cost only 5 Euros!  The tour guides were given in Dutch, French, and English (I think there's one more but I don't know what it was).  Antwerp was founded as a shipping and trade center in the old days (too lazy to look up).  As most old cities, it sits along the river.  Like Frankfurt, Antwerp grew disproportionately on the old part of the town where the other bank is recently developed.  The river is wide enough for water sports so there are many yachts parked in marinas.

After the river tour, I did a city tour on a tram.  These tourist activities must be city subsidized as it is so much cheaper than other European cities.  Only 5 Euros for 50-min tour.  I love that he took us to many parts of the town what I may not otherwise have visited, like old warehouses and piers.

Antwerp is flat with designated bike paths in so many roads that a lot of people bike.  It's excellent for the environment and citizens' health.

The public transportation in Antwerp is buses and trams.  But I walk most of the time as I live close to the tourist area and the city is quite small.

Oh, after these two tours, I went to the yarn shop called Julitja that I web searched earlier.  Quite a cool store selling fabric, yarns, buttons.  They sell yarns by weight so I've got some yarns from them that I'd like to make into vests and hats.

Then I had dinner at UWASA which sell "bio" (organic) and fairtraded food.  I finally figured out the opening times of restaurants in Antwerp.  It opens for lunch from 12-2 PM and reopens again for dinner at 6PM.  Some are not open for dinner like this one.  I arrived 10 minutes before it closed but the owner served me anyway.

Comments