ฺLove stuck in Brussels

Well, I just want my title to be catchy...  Anyhow, as I have been doing a lot of traveling lately, both in Thailand and abroad, I come to think that its main benefit, one that I'd overlooked, is that once I get to know people from another part of the society or another countries, I don't stereotype them as much, i.e., I see them as a human being like me, not just a blanketed group of individuals with some common characteristics, say farmers, black people, red-shirted protesters or yellow-shirted ones.  The reactions of my friends toward the political gridlock in Thailand indicate that many of us, a so-called middle class, seriously lose connections with our fellows in the country side.  It is not as simple as "either you are with us or against us."  This Matichon article talks about his frustration that I also share.

At least now most Thais are into politics now.  For better or for worse...

I left Antwerp for Brussels this morning.  I just found out that they're only 50 km apart, same distance as my Bangna home to Kaset.  Anyhow, this time the train ride was much faster and direct.  Thank goodness I don't have to drag my luggage up and down the train and the stairs...

Brussels appears to me like any other major cities, with its busy streets, crowd, noise, mixed races, homeless people, trash...  I missed Antwerp a bit initially.  I checked into my B&B hotel (Chambre en Ville); my room wasn't ready so I left my luggage and computer bag there.  I asked if I should pay right away and was refused.  She didn't even ask me to fill out any form.  It takes much trust in another human being to let them stay without any guarantee (this place and the previous ones are so small that they don't take credit cards).  I could have left in the early morning without pay.  Anyhow, the house looks like an art studio with furniture.  My room has three paintings, a rug hanging on the wall, hand-made vases, bowls and cups, old gigantic antique mirrors.  The bathroom is huge: I have a choice of shower stall or a free-standing bath tub.

I come to like B&B more than a hotel.  A chain hotel offers a safe bet, but it's cookie-cutter boring in terms of decor.  Both places I stay in Belgium seem to get a lot of their stuff from flea markets on antique shops.  So their rooms have more personal touch and greater sense of time in them.  The rooms are homey and thus making my trip more pleasurable.  They are more comfortable too, with a kitchen nearby and extra this and that.  Plus, they are cheap.  This Brussels one is only 70 Euros a night and it is within a 15-minute walk to art museums.  By the way, I found this B&B from the online Lonely Planet hotel listing.

 Oh, after checking in, I walked towards museum area (many of them are close together).  I checked out the Royal Museum of Ancient Arts ("ancient" because Magritte Museum is dedicated to modern arts.  Somehow I think art historians misuse the term modern and post-modern.  What do we call the things that appear after the post-modern era then?).  I generally get an audio guide when it's available so as to save my reading time and it is a way to tell me which works are important ones.  What I love there are Rubens (of course), Anthony van Eyck, and another 1400-century guy whom I don't remember the name but saw here for the first time.  It is always amazing to me to stand in front of artworks that are many hundred years old.  I wonder what all these works must have gone through, their history, and what artists must have envisioned when they created their works.  Seeing reprints of paintings, even large sizes, never give the same experience as seeing real things.  The color, the texture, brushstrokes are all missing.     

To get an overall feel of Brussels, I hopped on to a sightseeing bus tour.  Kind of nice to sit there, listen to the guide and see the changing views.  I admire many parks that Brussels has, in terms of quality and quantity.  Palaces and the EU buildings are OK, as I expected.

 Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I went to the town hall with its remarkable golden buildings in the square.  Tomorrow I plan to check out the Magritte Museum and probably Beaux Arts.  And I should go see the Cathedral too. I'll go to Bruges on Friday which will be my last vacation date.

Comments

pink said…
WOW the room is so neat. I LOVE IT. was it a bit scary at night time?