It's a woman thing...

I believe that most people, me included, know what they're supposed to do.  But whether or not they actually do them is another matter.  This morning, I was talking with a Belgian lady about this and that.  As she was telling me about her friend, she started to talk about her own relationship.  She's a single mom with a very cute 7-year-old daughter.  She has been seeing this guy for 3 weeks, and from what she said, this guy is a textbook-case no-no for a long-term relationship: immature, stingy, drama-queen-like.  By the way, he's also much younger than she.  As I was listening, I thought, well, why don't you get (the hell) out of it?  She said they're "madly in love" with each other.  I was like, how much attachment can you form over such a short period?  But of course, I didn't say this out loud...

I guess sometimes our lives are so dreary that we want some dramas in them.  Like a bad relationship, perhaps?  Or, we long to be desired...

In addition to this lady, I've also run into many similar cases, mostly from employees of my family.  For uneducated women (especially non-Thai ones from Myanmar), bearing a child is one way to lock herself into her man.  What a weird thought!!  My sister told me that for poor people, their children are their assets; to me, they're more like liabilities.  I sympathize them and admire their tenacity to keep things together nonetheless.

In terms of time-value for money and effort required, I think dog companions beat human ones sometimes.  This B&B has two large black dogs: Nefer (from Nefertiti) and Cleop (from...guess...).  I never grew up with dogs and haven't had one.  So it's quite an experience to be with them.  If I have to explain what I feel, it'd be bland; in short, I now understand why people keep them as friends.  But I surely won't get them as I don't want to have another liability though dog owners will probably consider them assets.

Comments