Why be stupid when you don't have to?

I imitate this title from one of Luangpor Sumedho's talks; his is Why be ignorant when you don't have to?  which is my favorite.

I'm not so good at being subtle so I won't try.  I suppose I am, to a large extent, self-righteous, but I continue to be surprised when I run to people making some decisions or doing things that are so distinctly unwholesome (that's a soft term, but what I have in mind is "stupid.").  Usually, when that happens, I go, well...., can't it be any more obvious?

Since I've become more and more aware of myself and my feelings, I don't see the point of taking alcohol or drugs.  Most of the time, I'm already not mindful "enough," why mess it up even further?  I don't think I need to discuss about how much harm alcohol does to health.  On top of that, it costs money, time and morning-after stuffy heads and blurry sensibility.  It's not that I never drank.  I did on a regular basis when I was young and thus can't comprehend how anyone can carry on drinking after they go beyond 35.  Well, I'm not exactly qualified to opine on this topic as my brother called me a nun, e.g., I go to bed before 10 PM and get up at 4-5 AM.  

Theoretically speaking, drinking is a violation of the fifth precept which is the worst because it makes one so heedless that any of the other four rules (not to kill/do physical harm, not to steal, not to possess other people's loved ones, and not to verbally abuse) may be easily broken.  These five rules of morality are essential for peacefulness in life.  They provide solid foundation for spiritual practice.  If one cannot keep these five precepts, there is no need to think about liberation or nibbhana.

I hope my targeted audience gets my message.  If not, I just have to be content with having done my job as a friend.

Comments

pink said…
erh..am i one of your target audiences?
jutapi said…
N'Pink: Nope. You weren't. But I didn't know that you drank a lot.
pink said…
no, i dont drink A LOT...or ever did.... ;~>