Wealth and Self-Sufficiency

I just finished grading students' reports.  It's one of the activities I don't like about this job.

The Buddha said that material wealth is a shackle that binds one's feet.  When I first heard it, I didn't quite understand what it means.  Now that I have to take responsibility on my family business, I do see his point.

Most people want to be rich, but they don't really think about the consequences of having lots of money.  Material wealth is like other sort of belongings in that it requires cares and responsibility.  Of course, to an extent, money gives me some sense of security, physical comfort and freedom to do certain things and not having to do some other things.  But at the same time, wealth also has its downsides.

For example, I can't go away for a long stretch of time.  Though our apartment rental business doesn't demand constant attention, my dad and my guilt don't let me escape for very long.  I do go abroad for 3 weeks once in a few years (teaching staff exchange + excursion).  Without that kind of "excuse," it's not possible, even on school breaks.  Staying in a monastery for a month is definitely off limits: 8-10 days are OK.

Also, I have to deal with our tenants and employees.  Of course, some customers are really nice and understanding, but some are imported morons.  One Caucasian guy pointed his finger at my face and told me to shut up!  Well, I should have thanked him for giving me the experience that I never had though I was in the US for ten years.  And these jerks are excellent for testing my progress on the Vipassana practice.

Meeting lots of people is eye opening in that I get to observe people from all walks of lives, some of which I used to see only on TV shows: mistresses, prostitutes, people who work in nightclubs and bars, foreigners who stay in Thailand for no obvious reasons other than hanging out and getting girls.  I find that, unlike how mistresses and prostitutes are portrayed on TV shows, most of them are nice people and not at all bitchy.   Secondly, guys who cheat on their wives can't be stereotyped; they come in all looks, ages and professions.  Lastly, some sex workers do have real husbands and kids who live with them. 

Anyhow, speaking about our employees, thank goodness my brother takes care of their pay.  Sometimes, it's much easier to please our customers than making our own employees happy.  And I sort of sympathize those millionaires who run mega projects or own large businesses, their wealth and success rely on their employees simply because they can't do everything.  Even with loads of money, they are not exactly independent and free.

Am I complaining?  Not really.  I just think about my constraints and my liberty.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Understandably your article helped me truly much in my college assignment. Hats incorrect to you dispatch, wish look progressive for the duration of more interdependent articles in a jiffy as its anecdote of my pick question to read.