The Best Anti-Aging Medicine

I got back to Bangkok for a few days but I didn't feel like writing as I was running around getting bits and pieces of my urban life on track.  I feel that if I am away even for a couple of days, I need time to adjust myself. 

Anyhow, I finally transformed into the same old snotty Ying as I just had my nails done this evening.  All the Chaiyaphum's dirt was removed from my toes, along with the dead skin.  I like the idea of getting myself to do different things, to be with strangers, to eat unfamiliar food, to see if I'd survive, to test myself if I'm attached to my status quo.  I suppose I need to be reassured that if things are not going the way it is right now, I shall be okay.

Originally, I went to Wat Pa Sukato just to spend time with myself, doing Vipassana practices.  As it turned out, I was able to do as planned for the first few days, after which, I did something else entirely.

Every year during the summer, Sukato arranges the summer camp for kids; boys are ordained as novice monks and girls become novice nuns, without their heads and brows shaven.  Out of curiosity, I went to see the ordination ceremony and see what the kids (ranging from 7-14 years old) do.  So as to participate in the activities, I volunteered to be a girl mentor.  The job turned out to be a lot of fun, spiritually rewarding and insightful.  I find feeling young can be contagious: coming into contact with kids for an extended period of time is very invigorating.

What I like most about these kids is that they come from various backgrounds.  Most notable of all is the kids from the Children Village School (โรงเรียนหมู่บ้านเด็ก) which is a boarding school for orphans and underprivileged kids from Grades 1 to 6.  They are amazingly self reliant.  The seven years old can get up at 4 AM without whining to get themselves ready for morning chants.  They can go to toilets in the semi darkness by themselves.  Of course, coming from special background, they are different from "other" kids in many ways.  For example, I met one 7 year-old girl who still cannot read, is very stubborn and speak not-so-polite words, but otherwise OK.  A few of them like to hold on to my arms or hug me as if they need to reach out for physical touch.  Another girl, Nancy, whose prettiness stands out, scratches her forearms and legs so often that she has bruises on them. 

Now that I think about it, other girls are self reliant too, but I feel gravitated towards these Children Village kids as they are younger than the rest so they tend to be restless and need to be constantly reminded on what they're supposed to do.  I suppose there is something special about them that draws me to them as well. 

Well, I did write a journal while I was there as materials for blogging.  I'll do it some other time then.  As for the photos, please visit my Picasa album.

Comments