Knowledge vs. Wisdom

I am so blurry that I don't really know what I'm going to write but I feel an urge to.

The other day I was talking to a friend who is a PhD and now teaches in the same department (Industrial Engineering) as I.  I was so totally surprised when he asked if anger is Moha (delusion).  I was like, what?!? I mean, technically speaking, he is correct because if one is not deluded, one won't be angry.  But generally, anger has its own category, in terms of defilements.    Apparently, those 3+ years of Buddhism classes in high school & junior high didn't leave any trace in his brain.  What hope do I have in the general public when a highly educated guy like him doesn't even know these basic Buddhism terminology?  I told him that he ought to at least learn the basics, else it'd be tough to understand any dhamma talks.  I said, how can you learn the math, when you can't count one to ten? (He reads my blog from time to time so he knows that I denounce him publicly).

This same guy also thinks that the fact that I put on a facial makeup and that I do put effort and thoughts and money into my outfits is inconsistent with being religious.  I was like, I think I'm doing disservice to my customers and my students if I greet them with an oily, ugly face.  When I visit monasteries, I don't do makeup.  It's all role play.  Why do some people think a devout Buddhist has to be poorly dressed, bland and emotionally suppressive?

Anyhow, the other day I was talking to a friend whom I met at a Vipassana retreat.  We ran into each other twice at Baan Aree and a dhamma-talk event.  She called to inform me that many Vipassana masters from the remote parts of Thailand will be invited to Bangkok to celebrate the anniversary of a private hospital, Vichaiyuth (a part of the Thai tradition to celebrate with a wholesome event).  She said, you might want to go there to ask these masters questions on your practice.  I said, I don't really have any questions.  I know my weakness, and I'm not stuck.  And I wonder if asking is necessary, most of the time.  I feel that some people asked in the hope that answers will assure them, like padding them on the backs that they're making progress.  Does these unnecessary questioning reinforce a sense of me and mine?  My practice, my progress and my enlightenment?

Luangpor Kamkien said something that struck me.  He said something like, there isn't really a need to ask.  If you can see your own anger, but you are not angry (be the knower, but not what is known).  Then you make progress.  I really do think that having a right teacher to ask is helpful.  But it is not sufficient.  Teachers and teaching are guides, maps, that show me the way, but it is I who walk the path.

The other day I listened to Ajahn Jayasaro's talk in a Buddhist convention where many in the audience seemed to be teachers.  He said that we (teachers) must not turn into celebrities; it's not a cult of personality but rather, it's the Buddha's teaching that must be uphold.  And I totally agree.  Thai people tend to have more faith in a person, rather than playing by the rules.  This makes it very tough to set up a system that continues to operate regardless of what an operator is.  What an engineering thing to say?

I can't wait for a summer holiday so that I can go to monasteries and stay for a stretch of time.  I'm going to Finland in April and I plan to visit Antwerp (Belgium) on the way.  Since it's so close to Brussels, I may visit it too.

Comments