Dhamma reflections are precious gifts

As I was working on some no-brainer job this afternoon, I listened to the Way of Non-Suffering by Ajahn Sumedho.  Merely hearing his laughs is comforting enough, not to mention his insights and point of views.  He's now 73 and an abbot of Amaravati Monastery in the UK.  I hope to see him in this lifetime. 

On parts that I like, I transcribed them from his "reflection" (his preferred term than "dhamma talks") as I think my friends will enjoy it too. (I always assumed that my readers are someone I know personally, but that view started to change...).  By the way, Luangpor Sumedho is a Farang monk who uses Pali words when he gives talks.  So here goes Ajahn Sumedho's words...

....I'd listened to myself thinking and I was aware of วิจิกิจฉา (doubt).  I explored doubt.  I really understand how doubt arises in my mind...

....I really listened to my fear.  But with this attitude of what I call, listening to the neighbors talking in their garden on the other side of the fence.  This was my image.  Like you are in your back garden and you're just standing there, listening.  You hear the neighbors gossiping, chatting away about things. .... I listened...  The Bhutto is a listener, and the สักกายทิฎฐิ is the neighbor gossiping....

....This was oftentimes repetitious because when you are stuck in the thinking process, the mind repeats the same old stuff over and over...

...That which is aware of these voices, these gossiping neighbors, are not the neighbors.  Is it?  It's the listener, the knower.  And the neighbors can say anything...  More and more, as I kept investigating...  That which is aware of thinking is not a thought.  That which is aware of emotions is not anger, not lust, not jealousy or fear... 

...What is conscious?  It's knowing....

...Pure, natural consciousness, without anybody having to do anything.  It's completely normal, natural state of being, before you separate yourself with conventional identity....

...I really encourage you to really contemplate thinking as an objective. As อารัมมณ.  As objects in consciousness...

Comments