My Eight Days of Solitude

At some retreats, participants are not allowed to write because writing causes the mind to be engaged in thoughts and thus not being mindful of the present.  I figure some of my friends may benefit from my experience so I'd like to share.

People often ask "What do you get from a retreat or a stay at monasteries?"  Generally, I said "You're not supposed to get anything but rather to get something eliminated, like, your sense of self."  But sometimes I said, I like the idea of stopping the usual crazy pace of rural life and just be present, here and now, with no daily plan.  It's really relaxing.

Some photos on Picasa (click here)

To list the writing in a chronological order, I use Google Docs to write and link my blog to them:
Things I did NOT get to do while being at Sukato: spend money; plan my day/my meal; sleep in an A/C; boss people around; talk on the phone; read newspaper or magazines; touch a computer; drive a car; do a facial makeup.

Things I got to do at Sukato that I generally don't do in Bangkok: prepare food for monks or nuns; do morning and evening chants; talk to monks or nuns; sweep leaves; water plants; clean my room and toilet; be with myself for a long stretch of time; get up at 3.30 AM and go to bed at 8 PM; drink rain water; take a bath with untreated water from a pond; see so many stars and a brightly shone moon.

Ironic that I was away for only 8 days but I feel I have to sort of winding myself back to Bangkok life.  Not that I was really on a holiday and I was high.  More like I was calm and now I have to immerse myself back into turbulence.  Well, nothing is forever.

    Comments

    Art said…
    Finish reading it already. Very interesting krab. Thank you for writing it candidly. In case you're interested, a friend of mine write about his experience living for 4 days at Suansantidham. Here is the link: http://ajsophon.multiply.com/journal . Also very interesting krab.