What is enough?

The other day I was listening to one of Ajahn Thiradhammo's dhamma talks.  He recalled a story about Luangpor Cha.  One of his students asked "How much calm is enough?" (for mindfulness practice).  And he replied "Just calm enough."  Of course, this one liner can be interpreted in so many ways.  In my understanding, what he meant is that "enough" for each person is different.  And since "enough" varies from one person to another, one must rely on oneself in knowing if we slip on the left or the right side of the practice.

In theory, if one truly understand that "enough" varies, one wouldn't be judgmental as he/she realizes that people are conditioned differently.  (I just love the word "condition".  It reminds me of conditional probability.  And it implies that we're not born as a blank sheet of paper)  But of course, it's easy to say, but harder to do, especially for a control freak like me. 

By the way, I love what Luangpor Pramote said this morning that "เราซื้อเวลาด้วยชีวิตของเราเอง"  There are so many things that I'm attached to, and one of it is intellect.  I just love slick ideas, well-written stories and smart people.  To me, these things are like light, though it's not the kind that ends samsara.  But every time I read well expressed ideas or thoughts or reflection or seeing beautiful sights, it is uplifting.  Now, I've been listening to Luangpor Sumedho.  Sharp guy.  I find I like these Farang monks who were trained under Luangpor Cha.  The way they teach clicks to a psyche of someone too Westernized like me.

Amazing how all these dhamma talks replicate each other.  I can understand it from the intellectual point of view, but I suppose my mind can't accept it yet.  Well, if it would, I wouldn't be whining like this.

Comments