Unusual Saturday

Before I started writing a blog, I wrote journals (called diary in Thailand).  And I still keep all of them, almost 10 books in total. So, if I die, and people need to find out about me to put together an obituary book (or whatever they call books that are given in the funerals), they should have no difficulties.  As much as I enjoy reading, I find writing helps in organizing my thoughts or kinda crystallizes my ideas.  Or perhaps writing is a form of conversation with myself.

Anyway, I ran into Oh, a yoga teacher who is also Luangpor Pramote's disciple, yesterday.  We chatted about the practice, of course.  I know that she is a much more accomplished Vipassana practitioner than I am (heard how she recalled her practice with Luangpor, and his comment is very positive).  She asked if I do any formal practice.  I said, I do a sitting meditation every day.  She recommended me to do a walking practice instead as one can easily focus too strongly when one sits.  She said walking is especially good for someone with hot temper like I am (well, it's that obvious).  She asked me to show her my walking practice.  And when I know that someone is watching, I can't be natural.  It is very nice of her to tell me that I can ask her if I have any questions.

I generally go to a yoga class and have a massage on Saturdays but today was a bit unusual because I had to get my windshield replaced.  There was a long crack in it.  Since I drive everyday, I don't want to be stuck in the car with no windshield on.  So, I didn't go to a yoga class, and on the way home, I bought some magazines and stayed home to read.  I find these glossy over-commercialized chick magazine fun and I read it from cover to cover (though with unequal concentration on each page).

I may get to volunteer at Baan Aree next Sunday when Luangpor Pramote comes to give a dhamma talk.  P'Lek asked me to do it.  I'm generally such a snob that I don't like a crowded place.  But I think this will be a good exercise to lower my ego and test my patience.

As for another of my ego test, I find I don't care so much if people like, dislike or don't care about my translation of P'Ed's blog.  I enjoy it and I find that, having to translate it makes me think hard about what these words mean.  Now I have a greater understanding about their meaning as I want to have as little Pali as possible on the translated version so a Farang can understand.   

Comments