Love is a highly perishable good.

(I just love this quote from a novel by a Canadian female author. Now I don't even remember the title of the book.)

Yesterday, I was reading my paper journal and found the latest entry dated on Feb 4, 09 talking about "him." Back then, I was being upset with my unrequited love. As I was reading it last night, I was like...who is this "him" I was madly head-over-heels with anyway? Of course, I did figure it out, but it proves to me how my volatile my mind is.

One of the monk teachers whom I listen to said that "(romantic) love is a heated thing." My interpretation is that it creates anxiety, restlessness and mood swings, to name a few. To expect it be otherwise is simply denying the truth, as silly as asking fire to be cold.

Another metaphor that I like is by Khun Dungtrin. He said something like a couple are like parts from different manufacturers. It's impossible for them to fit perfectly. Well, the guy just got married, so I suppose either (a) he was an exception to the rule, or (b) he figured out how to manage the unfitting issue.

The essence of intuitive awareness (a term coined by Ajahn Sumetho) is deceptively simple: to observe without meddling with what's going on. For example, experience fear and see that fear is like this. Or experience happiness and see that happiness is like this. Yet, I can't help interfere with it. I am someone who would like things to be over and done with, though I know that patience is critical for the Vipassana practice. I suppose having situations I can't control and, with high probability, drive me crazy such as falling in love is a good practice for a control freak like me.

Comments

pink said…
conclusion: you need to fall in love! im very curious who that 'him' was. what's your type?
jutapi said…
He's not someone you know, ยายน้องพิงค์

Unfortunately, I'm so selective that I don't have a type (^ ^)