Girlfriends are forever.

I just hang up with Ros, one of my closest girl friends. I emailed her today about my recent catastrophe that I was heart broken (again, for the zillionth time). She called to inquire, not about how I was coping, but about how the hell she didn't know who the guy was. She was like, I follow your blog and your Facebook, how come I didn't catch any prelude. Perhaps I've become more subtle?

Once I told her how silly it came about, being a good friend and all, she cracked up laughing really hard. Because she has been with me through my major heartbreaks which happens once every year at the minimum, she knows that I don't remain depressed for too long as my limited amount of brain memory can't sustain such loads. So she made zero effort in comforting me. Instead, she was kind of making fun of my stupidity and suggest on what I should do in the future to avoid such mishaps. Of course, laughing at myself is a huge stress reliever.

One of the blessing in my life is that I always have good friends, someone whom I can count on. I've known Ros for 15 years. Seemed like it was the only worthy thing I got out of Seattle (we went to Univ of Washington together) besides in being in such a pretty town. She has seen me through my ups and downs: my mom's passing away, my adjustment to Thailand's life, and how my life's goal has shifted. It is rather ironic that we manage to keep our friendship all these times. I have an engineering background with a business-oriented family while she is in ethnomusicology (Ros: the blogspot dictionary doesn't know this word!) and her family are full of doctors. On top of that, both of us are highly opinionated, a common symptom among people with too many years in school.

I suppose being different helps because we see things from different angles, and being from such different fields of study, we can't argue much about work. We don't talk on the phone on a regular basis; we talk only when crisis strikes and helps are needed. But we do connect where we have left off. We certainly have known each other before this life so reconnecting in this life is not that difficult.

More than once, she said, too bad I'm not a guy, or else, we'd make a good couple. I, on the other hand, think otherwise: being girlfriends are better. Only women can understand another woman's reasoning or a lack thereof (I just love this word).

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Ying,

Thank you for writing about us in your recent post.
I can't believe that I could score and deserve to be a topic of your blogspot. It's such an honor. Really! However, we certainly share one thing in common: non-sense, apart from being single, controlling,opinionated, and moody. what a nice lady we are! So, our relationships last more than a decade and it can be predicted to be forever as we grow old and remain truly non-sense to life in general. Do I have reputation? No! I have to confess that I am so clueless regarding to your love life this time. How can I miss this episode? Our differences are so great that you must add one important aspect to your recent post; not only Ros came from a doctor family but also, in comparison to one's flamboyant elegance and enterprise family,her backgroud is of rustic poverty. We are both very lucky to laugh and cry together over years.
Long Live Girlfriends!!!!!!! Why don't you recount a story when I got so freaked out by my nightmare and phoned you from a temple? I lost my eye ball ...
jutapi said…
ฉัน flamboyant ตรงไหนยะ ก็ยังกินข้าวแกงโรงอาหารมหาลัยได้ เหมือนมนุษย์ธรรมดาทั่วไป แต่ถ้าบอกว่า elegant น่ะ รับได้ (^ ^)

There are so many of your weird stories that I would need to write a book to include them all. I liked your story when you went all the way to the US to check out on Mr. M.
pink said…
i think this is the juiciest post of all. im curios to hear about ur heart-breaking stories. soemthing to keep my life entertained. often time i cant see myself dating anyone. perhaps i love myself so much and waiting for someone to love me back seems impossible lol

by the way, i have 2 other gfs from this school too. we sort of like you two but differs that its 3 of us and they both are parents while im their kid. someone actually said they could see us moving in together one day down the road. hmmm i guess UW has a unique characteristic for influencing lifetime friendship,eh?
jutapi said…
Dearest Pink: I must say that I'm so old that I need to read your comment twice to get your message. อยากจะรู้เรื่องอกหักรักสลายของคนแก่เรอะ อย่าเลย เดี๋ยวชายหนุ่มเค้าจะเสียหาย (^ ^) เอาเป็นว่าเค้าแก่กว่าฉัน เป็นคนไทย ไม่ใช่เพื่อนอาจารย์ and not someone in our yoga circle (of course, since all of them are gay...)

ใจจริง อยากอยู่เฉยๆ ไม่ต้องไปใจโดดใส่ใครมากกว่า คราวนี้ เหมือนชดใช้กรรมไงไม่รู้

Thanks for inquiring tho...
pink said…
55555 thanks for telling me briefly ;p love is troublesome ner?
its not that you are old, my english and writing suck,rather hehe


p.s. commenting in ur blog is so fun