Crisis of Confidence

When you totally believe in someone, I mean as a spiritual teacher, if he turns out not to be like what you think he is, it probably feels even worse than a romantic break up.  Because you think that he is your refuge (สรณะ  I love this translation), someone who would lead you to enlightenment, when he's not what you imagined, it'd probably be like falling from heaven.  Anyhow, I suppose this is why having faith alone cannot get us through.  In addition to faith (ศรัทธา), we need perseverance (วิริยะ), awareness (สติ), stillness (สมาธิ) and wisdom (ปัญญา), together called the 5 types of strength (พละ 5).  If we are blindly faithful, without our own reflection, we can be quite stupid and prone to silly behaviors.

Having said all that, it doesn't mean that I'm heart broken, but I just feel sorry for someone whom I used to deeply admire.  I think he meant well, but there was something in the way he teaches that seems doubtful to me.  His students appear to rely too much on him.  Yesterday I was confirmed, by someone whom I respect and trust more (well, I'm not such a skillful dhamma practitioner so I don't have enough faculties to decide for myself), that his approach is not OK.

Well, sometimes being nosy can be beneficial.  I have followed the web board ลานธรรม where members can post their topics, both worldly and spiritually.   Most members are interested in Buddhism and its approaches in resolving problems.  On the worldly section, there are so many questions on love: breaking up or having (extramarital) affairs.  Initially, it was interesting, but later on, I got bored.  I know I should have more sympathy for them, but these questions can be grouped together and given the same answers.  I totally agree with Luangpor Pramote in that sufferings arise because we do not accept the truth.  And we see things from the me-and-mine position, like this-is-my-husband or how-could-he-does-this-to-me perspectives.

The other day I was watching to the talk show, recommended by someone on ลานธรรม  The guest divorced her husband because he cheated on her.  Of course, she was really upset initially, but her awareness practice helped her get back on her feet faster than otherwise.  She said one thing that really caught me.  She said, "I have so many guy friends who bring their mistresses to dinner with us, and I felt totally OK with it.  Now my (ex-) husband did it and it wasn't OK with me because I thought he was my husband."

Talking about the ลานธรรม web board, I posted my opinion on this girl's question about what she should do when her boyfriend would like to start a brothel business instead of an apartment business.  Because my family is in this area, I voiced my thoughts.  And she posted a thank-you note to us and it was such a delight.  With the always-on culture, I can make merits any time, anywhere.

I find that when I'm not whining or being totally pissed off, it took me longer to write.  I suppose the personal drive is not as strong.

Comments

Art said…
อ่าน 2 paragraphs แรกแล้วอยากรู้อยากเห็นว่าท่านใด ไว้เจอกันแล้วจะแอบกระซิบถามนะครับ :-)