Almost lost

(Photos are available on Picasa)

Today I drove from Bangkok to Sriracha and Chantaburi to attend a wedding of my relative tomorrow. Because I left Suan Santitham so early, I got a chance to visit Kao Su Kum Temple and Pleaw Falls National Park.

Generally, national parks have baby trails which are paved and well marked. They are often called “Nature Trail.” And immediately after the entrance gate, I ran into one such trail. I was like, OK, I’ll check it out. So I went in and no other visitors are going with me (this is a small national park and today is a week day).

Initially, it was easy; it’s obvious where the trail is. I walked and walked and walked. I crossed a small stream with a not-so-well-maintained bridge (I was like, “Oh, oh”). And then the path became masked as the rain forest is very quick to cover up any walk paths. This means that this path is not so much used. It was 3.30 PM and it gets dark sooner in the forest, especially in the winter like this. So, I started to worry. There was only one sign saying that the Alongkorn Stupa is 800 meters away. I just realized that the map I looked didn’t show the travel distance, so it could have been many kilometers of forest hike to get out.

I decided to make a U-turn. I could find my way back at first until I got into an open area covered with bamboos. I couldn’t find what exit to take out of this open area. I walked in one direction, and it leads to a small cliff leading off to a stream. Another is too rugged as the ground is not cleared at all. I was a little panicked. So I prayed to the forest spirit asking him to show my way out. Of course, all these time that I was in this path, I was alone.

I still couldn’t find the path so I prayed again. There was this one tree that was distinct to me in its color and its illumination. I started from that tree and tried to find the path. I couldn’t find it initially. Just to check out what options I have. Can I be stupid and call for help? Or I need to act like a self-reliant adult. I looked at my park entrance ticket to see if there is any number of the forest service I could call. There is NONE but I did have my cell phone. I told myself to calm down and I prayed again. This time I found it!

The experience is rewarding for me because it showed me a real possibility that I could be lost in there and die out of panic or starvation. It wasn’t so bad in my case because I knew that I’d been walking along a stream. And as long as I kept walking along it, I would get out. But in what condition is another story.

Even if I almost got into trouble by being too reckless, I still like forests. It makes me humble, realizing how little survival skills I have. My college degrees didn’t teach me that.

Anyhow, before the park, I also did visit Wat Kao Su Kim. I’ve heard the name but never knew that the late head monk was much respected and widely known. The King and the royal families visited him. This temple is on the hill top with a long staircase decorated with a Naga (large snake) hand rail. And there are many Naga sculptures in this temple. I just knew that the Buddha image for people who are born on Saturday is the one with Naga hovering over the Buddha’s head (to protect him from rain), and I was born on Saturday. Here, I made a prayer not to violate the number 3 of the Five Precepts as I know that I’d screwed up on that front, and I don’t want to make the same mistake again.

I was asked twice today if I came alone, by a monk at Wat Kao Su Kim and by a store lady. Should I scare them by saying that I came with many people whom they can’t see?

I heard Ajahn Brahm said something like, oftentimes, what we imagine would happen never happen; thus, it’s a waste of time and energy to live for the future. I start to observe that for myself. When reality contradicts with my expectation, it really upsets me. I love myself so much that I don’t want it to ever get hurt, don’t I?

I fed the fish twice today!! Impressive considering that I generally detest such activities; once at the temple and the second time at the water falls where I gave them green beans. The seller said that it’s the only veggie allowed because it doesn’t spoil the water stream. Considering how fast these fish gobbled up the food, I think any other veggie would do.

Seeing how eager the fish swallow my food, I realize, oh…it must be tough being a wild animal. Having to fend for itself and feed itself. But Luangpor Pramote said most creatures like the form of existence that they are born into as they don’t have any recollection of being other things.

Comments