My neurosis

This morning, I volunteered to translate for Auntie Ruth for the second time.  Perhaps there were fewer people, but I felt more relaxed.  We sat at the very far back so we wouldn't bother other people.  I had another Belgian guy as my customer.  He came with his Thai wife for the first time.  Hope the poor guy got something.

Just learned that Ruth came from South Africa.  (She's white).  I didn't "interview" her as I figured she have probably been asked many times.  She took notes while hearing the translation.  Of course, I didn't get every single details that LP said.  Just the main thing that I can catch.  Like whatever arises ceases.  And that lay people can practice mindfulness just like monks can.  I caught myself finishing LP sentences in English as I've heard most of these stories.  Ruth has been listening to LP for many months now.  I don't think she needs to take notes as she can just listen and practice right there.  But I kept my mouth shut as I don't know her that well.  And other mindfulness practitioners who are more skillful than me could tell her if it actually needs to be told.

It is amazing how doing blog translation helps my spoken English.  I suppose after listening to sermons by Western monks for some time, I get used to the terminology.  And translating P'Ed's blogs also familiarize me with LP Pramote's terms.  I kind of have fun with it.  Both oral and written translation, actually.  I find I understand the terms in both languages more.  For example, วิบาก means consequences and ปัจจัย is not factor but condition---something that enables something else to occur.

Comments