My head is spinning

Re: my hobby as a blog translator for P’Ed. So far, it’s been easy. He talked about movies or songs with a bit of dhamma insights. But the latest one is really killing: on much more intense subjects such as death and mindfulness practice. I should have seen it coming. The one before was on separation and samsara though the prelude is on a drama movie and a chick flick.

I started to work on it Friday afternoon while working on what I should be working on, switching back and forth when I got bored with one. The English word choices are mind boggling. Thanks for the Pali-English dictionary and a thai2English.com, I’ve got to see the many synonyms or antonyms, and so I have something to start from. I was like, what should I use for ฟุ้งซ่าน? I was contemplating “lost in thoughts” but I picked “spacing out” as I think it captures what he means better. Then there are so many “know” in this piece. I got bored with using “being aware” every time, so I sprinkled my work with “observe”, “feel”, “see”, “have awareness” “have mindful awareness” and what not. Strangely, I don’t really use “know.”

Another one that I’m glad I’ve got is “arises” as in “awareness arises.” I was going to use “materialize” but it’s too long. It doesn’t flow when reading. I got this word from an English teaching of Luang Por Teaan that P’Lek gave me.

I took the first cut and went to bed. My head was buried too deep into this job that I couldn’t sleep. Perhaps sleeping too much the night before. So, I got up and finish it, roughly.

I love a English translation for the word Chitta (as in “mind”): consciousness. Really right on the mark. Another favorite word of mine is for dhamma: actuality or truth of existence.

I forgot to say that I took the liberty to cut out all the Pali words so that the piece is understandable to people who are not in “the field.” I believe that I did the justice on the essence of it.

I personally think that this is the best piece I’ve ever translated (Well, I mostly think quite highly of myself anyway). The original work is really good and important as well. I had a feeling that he might want to write something like this for quite sometime but just got a chance to.  P'Ed uploaded the one I'm talking about on here.

Anyhow, today I’ve got two positive comments on my blogs. I was kind of surprised that they like it. I mean, I often go on and on about stuff. So, I was delighted. But just like everything else, now it’s gone. I keep reminding myself that I write for myself; if people like it, then it’s a bonus.

Love Kruba Aah’s dhamma talk at Baan Aree today (he's a Luangpor Pramote's assistant). I think he becomes more comfortable giving a talk now. Good for us!

Comments