The competitive side of me

Today P'Ed just uploaded a new entry on his blog.  I was like, what!!  I just finished his previous one two days ago, and he didn't upload it on his Facebook.  Of course, I was sulking (finally got to use this word) and thought perhaps I ought to ask him if he'd like me to continue.  But then I realized, hey, I did the translation to please myself, and it doesn't really matter what he made use of it.  So, I didn't send him a note.  Later on, of course, it appeared on his Facebook's notes.

And I saw why I wanted that one to be uploaded.  Because I thought it was really good and would like people to compliment on it.  Perhaps the reason I did the translation at all, besides making good karma, is to show off that I can. I suppose too many years in contemporary education system made me too competitive.

The other day I listened to Ajahn Thiradhammo and he talked about three types of conceits: thinking that you are better, worse or the same as others.  The point is not about arrogance or humility, but it's about referencing yourself to ...

Today while checking our apartment bills, I listened to Ajahn Sumetho who is also Luangpor's Cha's disciple.  He's originally American but now is in the UK.  Widely known and hugely popular.  I love listening to dharmma talks given by different monks.  It's like putting different spin, new point of view, to the same stuff.

Most of LP's Cha's disciples that I have listened to are funny, the funniest being Ajahn Brahm.  Outright hilarious.  I was laughing while driving and listening to him today.  My guess is that LP Cha must have been funny.  Or the way he taught is so forthright that you can't help but laugh in your stupidity that you can't see it yourself.

Comments