What is love?


This past Sunday, P'Kung and I listened to dharmma talks by Laung Por Amnat (ผาซ่อนแก้ว) at Ratanin Eye Hospital. He is very poetic and lyrical as usual. What caught my attention this time is when he talked about romantic love (I think he sensed that feeling in some of us) in that it works like drugs (ยาเสพติด). It makes us feel high and unable to see things as they are. The example he gave is that suppose your lover gives you flowers, those flowers are valued much more than other flowers. Even Kleenex that our lover gives us when we got sweated become special.

His second point which was what Ajarn Bram also said is that we don't actually love the person. But we love the way he/she makes us feel. That person just symbolizes the feeling. Usually, we're not aware of this fact, and we get attached to the out-of-ourselves subjects.

Well, having said that, it's not entirely certain that I won't fall into a hole that I dig for myself....

Other point of views on love that I like:

"ความรักที่ประกอบด้วยความใคร่ ความกำหนัด ฝักใฝ่ในกามคุณ จะเป็นลักษณะของกิเลส ถ้าความรักใดประกอบด้วยความสงสาร ความเกื้อกูลต่อกัน ความเห็นใจกัน จะเป็นลักษณะที่เป็นธรรม" โดยหลวงพ่อทูล ขิปฺปปญฺโญ จาก twitter@dlitemag

"อย่าคิดว่าความ ทุกข์จะจบง่ายๆเมื่อสมอยาก หลายคนในโลกนี้อกไหม้ไส้ขมกับการไม่มีคู่ครองดีๆ แต่อีกหลายคนก็ทุรนทุรายกับการมีคู่ครองดีๆคนเดียวไม่พอ" twitter@dungtrin

"รักที่สุดคืออาการยึดที่สุด ยึดที่สุดคือต้นทางทุกข์ที่สุด" twitter@dungtrin

I have been thinking about what Khun Dungtrin has pointed out about my ego and how it plays out in my work. Finally, I ran into audio files of his talk at EGAT that explains about how we can practice mindfulness at work and how it helps us get better at it without stressing the hell out of ourselves. This talk clarified many question that I have, and it made me realize that I was truly my own's worst enemy...

Comments