My Buddhist Lent Resolution

เข้าพรรษา = Buddhist Lent: Buddhist monks are required to spend nights at their temples during these three months of rainy season. It's a period where people are "behaving" themselves, somewhat.

It started with Luke, my yoga teacher, telling me I should be vegetarian during this Buddhist Lent period so that my body would become more nimble. He said P'Poo, my class mate, will do it too. Checking with P'Poo and it turned out it was all Luke's propaganda (he was also trying to convince P'Kung). Anyhow, it got me into thinking that I should try doing something good to myself too. So, I came up with the idea of not listening to music (as I generally do while driving) , not watching TVs or movie, not eating anything that requires chewing after lunch, and NO fashion SHOPPING. I can't totally go into the Eight Precepts (ศีล 8) because I still need to wear makeups, get massages and manicure/pedicure sometimes. The hardest thing to do seems to be not to shop.

I've been following this deed for a few days. Instead of listening to music while driving, I listen to Phra Ajarn Pramote preaching. As a result, I found that I'm less losing myself in random meaningless thoughts during the day.

The newest batch of Phra Ajarn preaching has been uploaded. See CD 29.

Comments

Anonymous said…
really, that helps?
maybe i should start my resolutions too
often time im stuck in thoughts of wishing certain things did happen or what not...and lose focus sigh!

pink