Ordinary day of an ordinary professor

My engineering school has a new program that requires undergrad students to come and meet their advisors. Nowadays, they can register without seeing us, so this is a way to get them to come. Like almost everything, it's annoying but also beneficial; I am interrupted many times in my office because Thai students can't read the sign "Office Hour" on my door so they come in whenever they see that I'm in. On the other hand, I get to collect their cell phone numbers and get to know them, especially their GPAs. Some of them have such alarmingly low grades that I'm curious to know what kind of study one does to get such a low grade! I mean, what is going through their minds when they enter exam rooms with blank heads? Oh, well, I'm a nerd, therefore unqualified to judge.

It's also the time that senior students come to discuss about their senior projects (everyone is required to do one, in every engineering discipline). Kind of nice to get them to think about their projects. We encourage them to continue with the companies that hire them for summer internships (again, required in Thailand for engineering students).

I think the tutoring system weakens the overall educational system. Most students can't learn by themselves. Someone must hand feed them. They are being tutored even when they're in college, either by paid tutors or their friends. It's sad in the long run because it means that they can't learn new stuff by themselves when they go out to work. But the nice aspect about all this collective effort is that Thai people tend to be compromising, despite the political chaos that we experience over the last few years. Also, the popularity of tutoring reflects either poor quality or the lack of confidence in the traditional school systems.

Lately, I've been enjoying Khun Aston's blogs.

Comments