Moving

My family is in the process of moving from our suburban home to a downtown building, mainly because the airport is next door to our current location. I am slowly moving my stuff, two boxes at a time, because I go to this family home once a week. I started with easy items like books, but now I'm on messier stuff like my craft things.

I used to be very into paper, greeting cards and playing cards (ไพ่). I made b-day cards for friends. It took about 2 hours to finish one. But I no longer do it because I don't feel like it. I also used to neatly organize photos & other momento items (e.g., plane tickets, business cards, entry tickets) into albums for every major trip I took. When I was a student, I travelled every break; at first out of necessity because the dormitory was closed, and we had to go somewhere. Later, I travel because I want to.

I think I'm a sensitive kind of person but I don't really go back and look at these photo albums. I was like, umm, perhaps I should throw them away. (Of course I didn't).

Another thing I discover is all the letters I received over the years I was in the US. Those were days without internet & expensive long-distance calls, so letters were a major means of communication. I wrote very often then. I organized these letters into years & kept them in my shoeboxes. Perhaps I should trash it too, just to make my life lighter.

Sometimes I imagine what people would do with all my stuff when I die. My hope is that I won't die so suddenly so I have time to manage my belongings before I go & I won't leave burdens to those who are behind.

My brother just had a baby. His wife said having a child is good so that her life would have more purpose. I had no response for that as our life goal is too different, so I should shut up.

Comments

Unknown said…
I think our goal is not different ....from a friend that always join your dharmma trip.