Losing myself

Before I got to listen to Phra Ajarn Pramote, I sort of knew what being lost was like, and I thought it was a common experience. When I watch good movies or reading novels that I like, I am totally absorbed into it. Forgetting that I exist in this world, I am in the same scenes as characters in those stories. I once tried to explain what Phra Ajarn called getting lost (หลง) to a friend by using this movie watching example. To my surprise, my friend said, no, he never experiences getting lost into movies...

If we pay attention, we lose our awareness all the times: when we talk, when we read, when we listen. The idea of noticing when we are lost is that once we realize that we cease to exist, then our awareness comes back to us. It's like snapping out of it. Phra Ajarn said, being aware of oneself is a key to Vipassana practice, a necessary but not sufficient condition to enlightenment.

พระอาจารย์สุรศักดิ์ เขมรังสีเทศน์ที่บ้านอารีย์ วันที่ 14 พฤษภาคม 2552 At first, I thought his voice makes me fall asleep. As I get more used to it, I find it very relaxing, and I like what he says. I haven't listened to its entirety yet. I just keep it for my own sake for future listening:

Comments