Last day of touring Frankfurt

Click for today's slideshow.

After a good night sleep, I regain my sense of self. Good that sleep is free…

Not sure if street beggars in Cologne and Frankfurt are homeless. They’re certainly cleaner and do not look as intimidating as in the U.S. Most of them do not look like they’re mentally disabled, as they appear to be in the U.S. So, I’m not sure why they’re begging… Still, I find it sad when I look them in the eyes…

I planned to go to Liebeighaus Museum but left an hour too early (mistake of reading a watch). I had plenty of things to see around there as there is a flea market in that area on Saturdays. Most sellers bring their used items and sell them. But some are real shop keepers… Kinda interesting.

I can guess at some German words because it uses Roman letters and also some words are very close to English. And just because it uses Roman letters, it makes reading for street names not too tough (unlike Japanese or Chinese characters). Also, it’s not that hard to pronounce German words, just read it as in English, though the accent might not be too good…

I also got to stop by at the Museum of Applied Arts which is currently Japanese woodblock prints. I haven’t seen them in a long time, since I left Chicago (the Art Institute has a huge collection, and they rotate them on display).

Finally, I found Goethestrasse. I prefer small shopping streets in Cologne than large boulevards in Frankfurt. More personal there. The nice thing about having to carry my own luggage up and down the train is that I don’t feel like shopping at all, and with globalization of brands, it takes all the fun away from shopping in another countries. Bangkok already has all the major clothing brands: Benetton, Zara, S. Oliver, Promod, Castro… Oh, I saw Thann (Thai brand of aromatherapy stuff) in Frankfurt too.

What I notice this time is that Germans are quite clean. Barry said that they’re known to be efficient, and that reminded me of Japanese, and Japanese are very clean and tidy too. So, I guess by-products of efficiency is cleanliness.

Tomorrow I’ll take the S-train to meet Barry and other workshop attendees at the train station at the airport. After about 5 days in Germany, I think I get a hold of how things work here now.

Comments