Frankfurt Day 2

My feet start to hurt…

I finally learned how to use Frankfurt’s U Bahn (subway) and trams. Frankfurt is too big to cover on foot. Today I used the trams, and it’s nice because I get to sightsee as well. The tram stops have electric signs showing when the next ones are coming and in how long. In Frankfurt (not sure about other German cities), they don’t have a card reader for tickets. They just randomly check if you have a ticket with you, and if you don’t, you’re fined 40 Euros. But it’s very rare that they check at all. They really trust their own people…

I went to Städel Musuem (Fine Arts). Good collection on paintings up to 1930s. Cologne and Frankfurt museums are not as big as American, British or French ones. Kind of nice in a way because it’s not too exhausting. I suppose just seeing Botticelli painting and Michelangelo drawings make it worth the trip.

The museums line up on the right bank of the Main river. This side is very residential. Houses along the river must have belonged to wealthy people in the old days; stately home with large gardens. Most are converted into museums or offices.

Also saw Goethe House. The guy was born about 250 years ago to a wealthy aristocratic family. He was famous even when he was alive.

Tomorrow will be my last full day in Frankfurt. On Sunday, I’ll go to Dagstuhl for a workshop.

The slide show is uploaded...

Comments