Cologne Day 1

I've uploaded the pictures as a slide show here. Click the pink one.

I am now in Cologne (locally called Köln) in Germany. I rested very well with a reclined seat. Now I sympathize with those who can shell out money to pay for the b-class fares.

I arrived to Frankfurt at 6 AM and took the local train here. German trains are extremely easy to navigate. They run often too.

I intentionally took the local train that goes by the Rhine river (internet recommendation). Pretty. Rhine flows between hill gaps (called ridge?) Small towns and forts dotted along the river. Wonder how they go up to those forts (I didn’t see any roads). Some hills are also farm land.

I love their idea of letting people to plant stuff on the area close to the train tracks (like backyard garden).

The Dom or the Cathedral of Cologne appeared even before I deboarded the train. The biggest cathedral in Germany (800+ years old). Hugh black structure with countless spires. The train station (Haufbahnhopf) itself is a nice glass and steel structure (also registered historical site). Got a map and a guide book from the local tourist office before checking into the hotel. Thank goodness it isn’t far from the train station else I’m dead with all the bags…

The importance of the Dom is that it holds relics of the three Kings (the Magis). Must look up their place in biblical history later. Also for its stained glass and a mural painting of Madonna and a Child.

But what I like the most about today is the weather. Even if Thailand is warm, it’s never like this. Just like spring time in the US, Chicago, in particular… Clear sky, breezy and not too cold, not too hot and not too humid.

To me, Germany is similar to Finland and Sweden: electric sockets, door knobs, toilet seats, bedding items, smell of the airport, people with large bone structure, blond hair and blue eyes, sandwiches as fast food, lots of smokers, appearing very safe…

By the guidebook, I took a walking tour around the old part of the town (Alstadt). Oh, what I like about touring on my own is that I get to remember all the names and get to refresh my survival skills. Cologne downtown isn’t that big. After a while, I sort of know my way around.

Eau de Cologne means water from Cologne in French, and the brand 4711 comes from the street number…

Another intriguing site that I behold today is a choir sung by nuns and priests at the basilica of the Great St. Martin. Just dawn on me that the basilica is designed also for sound effect because in the old days, there were no loud speakers… Amazing to see that, in these days of technology, there are still farangs choosing to live solitude lives to serve their God, living the same lifestyle like many hundred years ago. Well, I guess it’s the same as priests in other religion.

Despite all the technology, human basic problems are still unchanged…

Almost forgot Ludwig Museum. Huge Picasso collection. This man was a true genius. They have all types of his works here: oils, prints or sculptures. This museum is specifically for 20th & 21st century art (1930 and after).

The neighborhood of my hotel is residential. Quiet & peaceful. I like the quality of life here, also in Finland where I’d been to 3 times, but I probably hate it in the winter… And there’re no 7-11 here. Plus, I’d have to cook and clean here too… (all about me)...

Comments